Students may seek credit by examination for Spanish 1101, 1102, 1103, and 1155. Native speakers of Spanish are not eligible for these exams. Students currently enrolled in a course may take an EM Test for that course only during the first week of the semester.
EM credit will not be awarded for courses that are prerequisites to those for which college credit has been earned, or for any course in which a student has received either a mark or a withdrawal (W) at OSU, or transfer credit. Students who have received a failing grade for a course in Spanish are not eligible to take an EM Test for that course or to receive EM Credit for the failed course. Students may not test for credit for courses more advanced than a class in which they are currently enrolled. Tests are one time only opportunities to advance and cannot be repeated. A student who sits for an EM Test will not be permitted to take that exam again.
EM exams are administered in sessions in the department of Spanish and Portuguese the first week of classes each semester and at intervals as necessary each semester. There are no individual exams. Students must arrive at the top of the testing period. Late arrivals beyond the first 10 minutes of the testing period cannot be permitted to test on that occasion.
The Summer 2015 schedule is as follows:
- Monday, August 24. The registration deadline is 5:00pm Friday, August 21. Exam location: Hagerty 46 (classroom). Time: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm.
The Autumn 2015 schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday, August 26. The registration deadine is 5:00pm Tuesday, August 25. Exam location: Mendenhall 131 (classroom). Time 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm.
- Thursday, August 27. The registration deadline is 5:00pm Wednesday, August 26. Exam location: Mendenhall 175 (classroom). Time: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm.
- Friday, August 28. The registration deadline is 5:00pm Thursday, August 27. Exam location: Mendenhall 115 (classroom). Time: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm.
- Friday, October 23. The registration deadline is 5:00ppm Thursday, October 22. Exam location: Hagerty 42 (classroom). Time: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm.
- Friday, December 18. The registration deadline is 5:00pm Thursday, December 17. Exam location: Hagerty 251 (classroom). Time: 9:30 am - 11:30 am.
Students must register online. All registration is taken on a first-come, first-served basis and must be received by 5:00 pm on the day of the registration deadline. Students must know either their placement results for the MultiCAT or their most recent course in Spanish. Students are not officially registered for the EM exam until they receive a confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org to their OSU e-mail account. Click here to register online.
Disability Services: Any student who feels s/he may need an accommodation based on the impact of a disability should contact email@example.com to discuss your needs. Students with disabilities that have been diagnosed with a disability will be appropriately accommodated. The Office of Disability Services(ODS) no longer provides diagnostic testing for OSU students who suspect that they have an undiagnosed learning disability (LD) or need updated LD testing. Students may contact ODS concerning LD testing and speak to a disability counselor, who will make referrals to other resources within and outside of the OSU community. The Office for Disability Services is located in 150 Pomerene Hall, 1760 Neil Avenue; telephone 292-3307, TDD 292-0901.
The administration fee for the Spanish EM test is $60. Please make check or money order payable to: The Ohio State University. This fee is due the day of the exam. No cash accepted.
In order to gain credit by examination, students must achieve a minimum score of 80% on the exam. All EM tests in Spanish include a listening and reading comprehension component.
Students will be informed of the results promptly via e-mail. A credit report will be forwarded to the student's college office for review and then to the office of the registrar for official posting to transcripts. The posting process currently takes four to six weeks. See the Academic Advisor in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese for permission to enroll in subsequent courses pending registrar's posting.