- Spanish Proficiency Exercises from the University of Texas is a compilation of brief video clips in which native speakers of Spanish from various locations throughout Latin America and Spain demonstrate various language tasks. If you need additional pronunciation or listening comprehension practice that range from novice to superior, visit their site.
- General and specialty dictionaries (business, medical, slang, etc.) as well as a thesaurus and word games are available at Your Dictionary.com
- Freelang dictionary offers a basic Spanish/English Freeware dictionary program at Freelang.com
- Diccionarios.com is provided by Spes Editorial, publishers of Larousse, Harraps' y Vox
- La Real Academia Española offers a Spanish/Spanish dictionary in addition to Español al día, Consulta, Banco de datos, Conjugación verbal, Diccionarios académicos y Biblioteca.
- WordReference.com offers a Spanish dictionary provided by Espasa Calpe publishers and Language Forums
If you are confused by "nouns, articles, verbs, direct and indirect object pronouns" ... Click here for a quick Grammar Review [PDF] to English grammar. It will provide you with the parts of speech, verb conjugations, and basic definitions of language structures. You may download Acrobat Reader from the Adobe site.
Free computer tutorial programs are available at most Public Libraries and also on-line. Type "Spanish language tutorial" into your search engine.
net.Tutor home page provides a menu of all tutorials available. The first or "overview" page of each tutorial provides a table of contents for that lesson and a graphical representation, as shown in the illustration below.
- Hispavista es un portal de información para Latinoamérica. Los enlaces están organizados por país a la izquierda de la página.
- Starmedia.com provides relevant and extensive content and services to the Spanish speaking world.
- Terra.com provides up-to-date news from around the Spanish speaking world.
- LatinoMSN.com ofrece lo último en noticias e información, así como servicios de comunicación en español, como MSN Hotmail, MSN Messenger y otros a través de sitios especializados en el país o región.
Newspapers and Magazines
- ABC.es, Madrid, España
- AJR News Link is an academic and professional research and consulting firm studying electronic publishing and visual journalism and offers world wide access to media from around the world.
- Clarín, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Dispatch español, Columbus, OH, USA
- LANIC (Latin American Network Information Center) from the University of Texas provides one of the most comprehensive information sites available for Latin America.
- Latin Trade magazine focuses on Latin America business and economic news. It is published monthly in Spanish, Portuguese, and English.
- El Mercurio, Santiago, Chile
- El Nuevo Herald, Miami, USA
- La Opinión Digital, Los Angeles, USA
- El País, Madrid, España
- La Raza, Chicago, USA
- El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia
- El Universal, México
- El Universal, Caracas, Venezuela
- La Voz Hispana, Columbus, OH, USA
TV, Movie, and Radio
For your listening and viewing pleasure, there is a variety of sources for TV and Radio programs as well as easy access to foreign films.
- Infórmate con CNN. Infórmate offers a collection of twenty-one video segments from the archives of the internationally reknowned CNN en español news network. Infórmate is available at the OSU Main Library (Microforms/Periodicals). [PC 4065I542003 video]
- On-line TV. TV programs reflect many different aspects of our culture. Watch free on-line TV channels from around the Spanish-speaking world. Enjoy news, TV shows, movies, music, entertainment and sports. A fast connection to the Internet is recommended.
The SPPO Volunteer Opportunities page offers resources for people who wish to use their Spanish in the Columbus, Ohio area.
Hispanic Organizations in Columbus
- UCHO (University-wide Council of Hispanic Organization). Its mission is to foster communications among various social, professional, and educational Latino/Hispanic organizations and to advocate for the continuing developmental, social, and cultural programming for Latino/Hispanic students, faculty, and staff at The Ohio State University.
- LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens). The largest and oldest Hispanic Organization in the country with over 100,000 members throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. Its mission is to advance the economic condition, educational attainment, political influence, health and civil rights of Hispanic Americans.
- LEON (Latino Empowerment Organization Network). LEON's mission is to collaborate as a network of individuals and organizations to empower and enrich the Latino community in the areas of health, education, advocacy and communication.
- Ohio Hispanic Coalition's mission is to improve the well being and quality of life of all Latinos through advocacy, education, training and access to quality services.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to PDF files. If you need them in a more accessible file format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader.