Coloring contest for Day of the Dead
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese, the Center for Ethnic Studies, and the OSU Athletic Department announce a coloring contest for Día de los Muertos.
This coloring contest, aimed at children and teens in grades K-12, introduces the holiday of Día de los Muertos to those unfamiliar with it, and strives to strengthen the relationship between Ohio State and Latinx culture.
Prizes vary by category, and include Ohio State swag, tickets to various OSU sports events, and tickets to the Columbus Museum of Art. Two winners will be selected from each category, with 10 winners total.
Children in grades K-12 are invited to print the PDF (below), color it in, and submit their entry via one of the following ways:
1. After September 1: Drop off submission at the Department of Spanish and Portuguese at Ohio State: 298 Hagerty Hall, 1775 College Rd, Columbus OH by October 5, 2023 at 5pm.
2. Bring submissions to Day of the Dead Columbus event on October 7, 2023, from 10am-6pm at Greenlawn Cemetery (1000 Greenlawn Ave, Columbus OH). Find the Ohio State tent and hang your submission up.
Eligibility and rules:
- Children and teenagers in grades K-12 in the Columbus/Central Ohio area are eligible to participate in this contest.
- One entry per person.
- There are five categories, divided by grade: K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8, 9-12.
- Eligible materials: crayons, colored pencils, markers, paint. No gluing on of extra materials or embellishment will be allowed.
- Submissions will be judged based on the following criteria: visual impact, organization and execution, interpretation and creativity, and craftsmanship.
- By entering the contest, the contestant allows Ohio State to take photographs of submissions to advertise the contest and Day of the Dead Columbus event. The first name and first initial of last name of winners might also be published.
Questions? Contact Leila Vieira (Email: email@example.com, Phone: 574-323-7246 [text preferred])