Advising and Enrollment for Undergraduate Programming


Course Descriptions and Pre-Requisites

Complete course descriptions and pre-requisites are listed in the official OSU Course Catalog. Students may also search specific term Spanish offerings through the Registrar's Schedule of Classes. A minimum grade of “C-” is required in all courses comprising the major/minor.

Tab Header
Spanish & Portuguese Major/Minor Advising


For Spanish & Portuguese inquiries related to General Education (GE), testing, placement and enrollment (1101, 1102, 1103/1113, or 2202/2213) please visit the Language Placement, Testing, and Transfer Credit page

  • Declare a SPPO Major or Minor program 
  • Plan courses toward a major in Spanish or design an SPPO Double Major Pathway
  • Complete the Application for Graduation
  • Discuss pre-approved study abroad programming through SPPO / OIA
  • Understand University policies and procedures

Students majoring in Spanish or Portuguese follow the Bachelor of Arts general education requirements. However, students pursuing a double major pathway may need to follow the Bachelor of Science requirements. If you are not sure which curriculum you are following, ask your advisor.

Need help understanding GE and program requirements? 

  • Contact your academic advisor for assistance. Run your degree audit prior to your advising appointment to review with your advisor. You degree audit report will help you understand your course requirements and how to plan your degree.

Access Your Degree Audit Report in BuckeyeLink

General Education Requirements



Brooklee Boots, SPPO Major/Minor Advisor

Brooklee Boots

SPPO Major & Minor Advisor

Office Hours
M-F: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM 

Office Location
355 Hagerty Hall



Contact Information

Schedule an appointment via OnCourse.   

Make an Appointment

Contact Brooklee Boots


Graduate Advising Assistants

The Graduate Advising Assistants (GAA) Program is designed to raise awareness among OSU undergraduates of the value of majoring or minoring in Spanish and Portuguese.

Undergrad students are encouraged to contact GAAs with questions about university resources related to a Spanish & Portuguese minor-to-major transition, general questions about designing 4-yr double major pathways, and to explore pre-approved study abroad opportunities. Students of any class-standing can meet with a GAA during hours listed below.

Graduate Advisor Profile Photos - Emily Rangel, Anthony Palmiscno, Cesar Santos
Grad Assistant Specializations Office Hours - Sp22 Zoom Info

Emily Rangel


Spanish with Psychology,
Microbiology & Biology

Wed & Fri: 4:00-6:00pm via Zoom


Zoom ID: rangelmanrique

Password: Lunera

Anthony Palmiscno   
Spanish with Business,
Neuroscience, Chemistry,   

Wed & Fri: 4:00-6:00pm
Schedule an appointment with Anthony

Anthony's Teams 

Cesar Santos
Spanish with Business,
Psychology, Speech &
Hearing Sciences
Thur: via Zoom

Zoom ID: cesarasantos

Password: Simbora

Tab Header


For Spanish & Portuguese inquiries related to General Education (GE), testing, placement and enrollment (1101, 1102, 1103/1113, or 2202/2213) please visit the Language Placement, Testing, and Transfer Credit page

Information on Honors requirements for Spanish Honors Majors can be found on our Spanish Major Program information page.

Additionally, Honors students have two different advisors: Arts and Sciences Honors Advisors and Departmental Honors Advisors. 

Departmental Honors Advisors

Your departmental honors advisor is knowledgeable in your area of study.

  • This advisor will be a department faculty member who advises, teaches, and fulfills research duties, or, in some cases, a full-time professional advisor. You should consult your departmental honors advisor on issues related specifically to your major.  
  • If you have questions or concerns specifically about your major or minor, please contact the departmental honors advisor for the relevant department.  To make an appointment with a departmental honors advisor, please call or e-mail that advisor.

Additional information about the Honors Program can be found on the OSU College of Arts and Sciences Honors Program website.


The OSU College of Arts and Sciences Honors Program offers high-ability students the opportunities to pursue challenging and engaging academic programs. Honors students are encouraged to construct an enhanced curriculum that includes honors courses, upper-division courses, rigorous sequences, honors seminars, a strong major that includes a significant research experience, and a minor or second major. 

An Honors Contract represents a commitment to completing a rigorous and coherent program of study while at Ohio State. It is submitted at the conclusion of your second year and affirms your intention to undertake strong course work, especially honors and 4000-level courses throughout your undergraduate curriculum. Students working toward an Honors Contract are expected to follow the ASC Honors Guides to the General Education Requirements.

Arts and Sciences Honors Advisors

Your Arts and Sciences honors advisor is a full-time professional and generalist who will advise you on:

  • general education requirements
  • graduation requirements
  • honors opportunities and requirements
  • degree planning
  • special academic and career opportunities
  • referrals to campus support and enrichment services
  • university policies and procedures
    • Unless you come in during designated walk-in hours, you will need to make an appointment to meet with your Arts and Sciences honors advisor. To schedule an appointment, please use OnCourse, call (614) 292-5104, or stop by the Honors Office in 3180 Smith Lab. 

Accordion Header


Please contact your academic advisor if you are considering changing your programs of study. Their information can be found in your Student Center on Buckeyelink.

You can also schedule an appointment with an Arts and Sciences academic advisor by calling (614) 292-6961 or by emailing


The goal of courses in this category is to develop your skills in communication across ethnic, cultural, ideological, and national boundaries and help you develop an appreciation of other cultures and patterns of thought. 

For both the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science:

  • 0-12 hours must be fulfilled
  • Course work or proficiency through the third language course (1103) or equivalent is required

Major Requirements

Your major program must consist of at least 30 semester hours of credit in courses numbered 2000 or above as prescribed by your major advisor. Please note that many major programs require considerably more than 30 hours of credit.

You must earn at least a C- in a course in order for it to be listed on your major. However, you must receive a 2.0 cumulative GPA for all major course work. If you earn a D+, D, or an E in a course that is required for your major, the course cannot be counted toward the major. Your major advisor will decide if the course should be repeated or if another course should be substituted. Courses taken on a pass/non-pass basis cannot be used on the major.

Your major advisor must approve all courses comprising your major. If you change from one major or curriculum to another, consult with an Arts and Sciences advisor. Such changes may result in modifying requirements to such an extent that your date of graduation might be delayed.

At least one-half of the credit hours in the major must be credit from completed Ohio State course work. Note: AP/IB/EM credit and transfer credit from other institutions are not considered to be “Ohio State course work.”

If you are pursuing multiple majors, course work may overlap between the majors, provided that each major department allows such overlap and that each major has at least 18 unique (non-overlapping) semester hours. Similarly, if you are planning multiple majors, there may be overlap between major course work and the GE—again, with permission of the major department and at least 18 unique non-overlapping semester hours on the major.

Minor Requirements

For information about minor requirements, please speak with your advisor.


A transfer student is one who has completed undergraduate coursework at an accredited university or college other than Ohio State (international or domestic), and who has transferred to an OSU degree program.

To initiate the transfer process, send your Official Transcripts to the OSU Transfer Credit Center, Office of the University Registrar.

Additional information specific to transfer credit related to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese can be found on our Language Placement, Testing, and Transfer Credit page.

NOTE: It is the student's responsibility to provide all required and requested information to facilitate the transfer credit evaluation process. Transfer credit requests will remain pending until all required or requested information and documentation has been provided.


There are many ways to study or travel abroad as a student at Ohio  State, and understanding your different options will help you choose the option that meets your needs. OSU offers:

  • University Approved Programs (including Ohio State Faculty-Led Programs, Third Party Provider Programs, Direct Enroll Programs, International Exchange Programs)
  • University Managed Programs
  • Independent Education Abroad
  • Service Learning and Volunteer
  • Research and Conference Travel
  • Internship or Work Abroad
  • Student Organization Travel.

Getting Started Sessions

It is strongly recommended that students interested in education abroad being by attending a Getting Started session.

Program information sessions and other education abroad events are listed on the Office of International Affairs Events Calendar.

Searching Education Abroad Programs

You can search for various OSU Education Abroad Opportunities on the Education Abroad Program Search page

SPPO-Related Study Abroad Programs

To check out SPPO-related education abroad programs, visit our Education Abroad page.

OSU Office of International Affairs

The OSU Office of International Affairs website has many great resources to get you started on your Education Abroad adventure. We encourage you to reference their website for additional tips, guidance, and resources.


Students choose a second major or dual (or second) degree for a variety of reasons: personal interest in the subject matter, development of knowledge and skills required for further education or for a career, or preparation for graduate or professional school. Talk to your assigned advisors about the feasibility of pursuing a second major or dual/second degree and to discuss specific requirements.

Options for Multiple Majors

Students pursuing two majors should consider early on whether they wish to complete a single degree with two majors or two degrees. 

Single Degree with Two Majors

A single degree with two majors leads to a single diploma, though both majors are noted on the student’s record and transcript.

  • You must meet the requirements for each major as set by the departments offering the majors.
  • Each major must contain at least 18 semester hours not contained in the other.
  • Overlap with the GE or GEC may be permitted where appropriate. Consult your academic advisors for more information.
  • You must complete at least 121 credit hours to earn a single degree with two majors.
  • You must complete at least 39 upper-division hours.
Two Degrees

Pursuit of two degrees leads to the award of two diplomas. The degrees will be designated separately on the student’s record and transcript.

  • You must meet the requirements for each major as set by the departments offering the majors.
  • You cannot overlap courses from either major.
  • You must earn a minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the total required for one degree (i.e., you must earn at least 151 hours).
  • You must complete at least 57 upper-division hours.
  • You must fulfill all degree requirements for both degrees.
  • Overlap between either major and the GE or GEC is not permitted, unless specifically allowed by a particular GE or GEC category.
  • An approved petition is required to graduate with two degrees.