Associate Professor Hispanic Linguistics
234 Hagerty Hall
1775 College Road
Mondays & Thursdays 4:00-5:00 PM
Please sign up at: https://profebabel.appointlet.com/
Areas of Expertise
- Linguistic Anthropology
- Language Contact
- Ph.D., Linguistics and Anthropology, University of Michigan, 2010
- M.A., Anthropology, University of Michigan, 2007
- M.A., Linguistics, University of Michigan, 2007
- B.A./B.S., Linguistics, Spanish, & Russian, University of South Carolina, 2001
Anna Babel is a sociolinguist and a linguistic anthropologist. Her research focuses on the relationship between language and social categories, particularly in settings of language contact. She has carried out long-term research in the Santa Cruz valleys of Bolivia, the setting of her ethnography, Between the Andes and Amazon. Her most recent work considers how we become aware of different ways of speaking, and conversely how our knowledge and beliefs about language influence the way that we speak. In addition to these areas of expertise, she teaches on the role of language in the construction of US and Latino/a/x identities.
2018. Between the Andes and Amazon: Language and Social Meaning in Bolivia. Tucson, AZ: University of Arizona Press.
2016. Editor, Awareness and Control in Sociolinguistic Research. Cambridge University Press, New York/Cambridge. Cambridge University Press
2016. Affective motivations for borrowing: Performing local identity through loan phonology. Language and Communication 49:70-83. ScienceDirect
2014. Stereotypes versus experience: Indexing regional identity in Bolivian Valley Spanish. Journal of Sociolinguistics 18(5):604-633.
2014. Time and reminiscence in contact: Dynamism and stasis in contact-induced change. Spanish in Context 11(3):311-334
2011. Why don’t all contact features act alike? Contact features and enregistered features. Journal of Language Contact 4(2011):56-91.
2009. Dizque, evidentiality, and stance in Valley Spanish. Language in Society 38(4):487-511.
Language Variation in Spanish US Latino Languages and Communities
Spanish in the US: Language as Social Action Studies in Spanish Synchronic Linguistics
Language Contact in the Spanish-speaking world Qualitative methods
- 2021. Public Outreach and Community Service Award from the Society of Linguistic Anthropology. Public Outreach and Community Service Award from the Society of Linguistic Anthropology from the Society of Linguistic Anthropology.
- 2020. Who counts as a speaker of a language? TEDxOhioStateUniversity TEDx talk Picked up by TEDx YouTube channel, March 2020. Picked up by national TED channel, December 2020 (total 1.1 million views as of 2/22/21).
- 2020. Interviewed by Mother Jones and the Columbus Free Press for newspaper articles on the death of Oscar Lopez Acosta. Contributed to background for Frontline article.
- Mother Jones: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/05/a-honduran-man-has-died-of-covid-19-after-leaving-an-ice-jail-plagued-by-the-virus/
- Columbus Free Press: https://columbusfreepress.com/article/ohio%E2%80%99s-first-ice-detainee-dies-covid-19
- Frontline: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/how-ice-data-undercounts-covid-19-victims/
- 2019. Interviewed on PBS NewsHour for segment on Ohio DACA students. Available at: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/for-daca-students-its-hard-to-focus-on-a-bright-future-when-faced-with-deportation-fears
- 2019. Interviewed for Reader's Digest story on how to pronounce acaí. Available at: https://www.rd.com/food/how-do-you-pronounce-acai/
- 2019. Author interview for CaMP (Culture, Media, and Performance) Anthropology Blog. Interviewed by Diego Arispe Bazan, published on 4/1/2019. See https://campanthropology.org/2019/04/01/1793/ .
- 2019. What do Spanish, Quechua, and DACA have in common? A linguist named Babel. Voices of Excellence podcast, OSU College of Arts & Humanities, interviewed by Dr. David Staley. Available for download at https://soundcloud.com/voices_arts_sciences/anna-babel .
- 2019. Supporting DACA students at Ohio State. OhioHabla podcast, interviewed by Dr. Elena Foulis. Available for download at https://soundcloud.com/ohiohabla/daca .
- 2018. The invisible walls of the whisper network. Invited column for Anthropology News, published May 10, 2018.
- 2018. Español en los Estados Unidos. OhioHabla podcast, interviewed by Dr. Elena Foulis. Available for download at https://soundcloud.com/ohiohabla/ohiohabla-episode-14-spanishintheus.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to PDF files. If you need them in a more accessible file format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader.