Mikel Bermello Isusi
Graduate Teaching Associate
286 Hagerty Hall
1775 College Road
Areas of Expertise
- Contemporary Iberian Studies
- Visual Studies
- Gender and Sexuality Studies
- MA/PhD in Spanish Lit. and Culture, 2018 - currently. The Oho State University
- MA in Spanish Lit. and Culture, 2016-18. University of Kansas
- MA in Teaching English as FL, 2014-15. Universidad de Salamanca
- B.A., English Philology, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, 2013
Mikel Bermello Isusi is a PhD candidate in Iberian Studies whose research focuses on both visual culture (graphic novels, TV, videogames), and gender and sexuality in Spain. Mikel can use all pronouns except for he/him/his. Mikel is also involved in the Creative Writing in Spanish and Portuguese Student Organization.
Mikel's paper "'I'm Trapped In Here!' Gender Performativity and Affect in Emma Ríos's I.D." has recently been published in The Routledge Companion to Gender and Sexuality in Comic Book Studies (ed. Dr. Frederick Luis Aldama, 2020). Mikel's MA Paper (defended in March 2020), "Questioning the Male Gaze in Antonio Altarriba and Kim's El arte de volar and El ala rota" has been accepted for publication in Against Translation: Global Comics, History and Memory (eds. Harriet Earle and Martin Lund, forthcoming in Autumn/Winter 2022).