Study language online. Ohio State quality. Accessible from anywhere.
Are you searching for a more flexible solution to learning a second language at Ohio State? The Department of Spanish and Portuguese is excited to announce the first ever 100% online Spanish and Portuguese language courses offered at Ohio State University.
The online Spanish and Portuguese language courses offer the same quality and academic rigor you expect from an Ohio State course but now with the added benefit of convenience. Learning Spanish and/or Portuguese at OSU has never been more accessible and fun.
Current Ohio high school students: You may qualify to enroll in Ohio State online language courses! See more information about the College Credit Plus Program.
Spanish Online Instruction
SPANISH 1102 & 1103:
- Each course is 4 semester credits; applies to the General Education (GE) Foreign Language (FL) requirement at OSU.
- Acquire new language skills and transcultural competence to be able to engage in topics related to travel, health, professions, and technology.
- 4 semester credits; applies to the General Education (GE) Foreign Language (FL) requirement at OSU. Spanish 1113 is not open to second language learners of Spanish (SLL) or students with credit for SPAN 1103.
- Designed for students who have grown up listening and speaking Spanish at home, and who have placed into this course level via the Spanish placement exam (i.e., the Multimedia Computer Adaptive Test, or MultiCAT).
SPANISH 2202 (This course will only be offered in Online format during SU term):
- 3 semester credits; bridge course to a Spanish minor or major
- A practical and engaging course covering topics related to business, social services, NGOs, the entertainment industry, and education.
- 3 semester credits; counts toward a Spanish minor or major
- Prerequisite: Spanish 2202 / 2213
- An introductory course in Spanish phonetics, offering extensive pronunciation practice and personalized feedback
- Open to native and heritage speakers of Spanish, as well as non-native speakers of Spanish
Portuguese Online Instruction
PORT 1101, 1102 and 1103:
- Each course is 4 semester credits; applies to the General Education (GE) Foreign Language (FL) requirement at OSU. This course is not open to heritage speakers of Portuguese.
- Acquire new language skills and transcultural competence to be able to engage in topics related to travel, health, professions, geography, history, and technology within the Portuguese-speaking world;
- A great way to study Portuguese – which is the sole official or co-official language in 15 countries and independent administrative territories in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Europe;
- The courses format enables both written and oral comprehension and production of diverse modalities of the Portuguese language.